Discover how to make an authentic Indian Roasted Chana Dal Chutney with this simple recipe. A versatile side dish that’s perfect with dosa, idli, or rice, and ready in just 15 minutes. Flavorful, vegan-friendly, and sure to add a delightful twist to your meals. Enjoy the combination of roasted chana dal, coconut, and tamarind in this traditional South Indian cuisine.Print
- 1 cup of roasted chana dal (dalia)
- 1/2 cup of fresh grated coconut
- 2–3 green chilies (adjust to your taste)
- Tamarind, a small marble-sized ball
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1 tsp of oil
- 1 tsp of mustard seeds
- 1 tsp of urad dal
- A pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- 1 dried red chili
- A few curry leaves
- In a blender, add the roasted chana dal, fresh grated coconut, green chilies, tamarind, and salt. Blend together to make a coarse paste.
- Gradually add water as needed to blend into a smooth paste.
- Heat oil in a small pan on medium heat. Once hot, add the mustard seeds and allow them to crackle.
- Then add the urad dal, asafoetida, dried red chili, and curry leaves. Fry for a few seconds until the dal turns golden.
- Pour this tempering over the chutney and mix well.
- Your roasted chana dal chutney is ready to serve!
- Adjust the green chilies as per your taste preference.
- If the chutney is too thick, add a bit more water to reach the desired consistency.
- The chutney can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 5 min
- Category: side dish
- Method: blending
- Cuisine: Indian
- Diet: Vegan
Keywords: Chana dal chutney, Indian chutney, vegan, roasted chana dal, coconut, tamarind, south Indian cuisine.