Are you tired of soggy, bland roast potatoes ruining your dinner parties? Well, those days are behind you thanks to our guide on how to cook M&S roast potatoes. We’ve got all the tips and tricks you need to transform boring spuds into crispy, golden nuggets of deliciousness.
To cook M&S roast potatoes, preheat oven to 220°C (200°C fan)/425°F/gas 7. Boil 1.5 kg of peeled, cut Maris Piper potatoes in salted water for 10 minutes, then steam in a colander for 5 minutes. Toss potatoes with 4 tbsp M&S Roast Potato Seasoning, 8 tbsp sunflower oil, salt, and pepper. Roast for 30-40 minutes until crispy and golden, turning occasionally. Serve hot.
- M&S roast potatoes and why they are special
- List of Ingredients need for M&S roast potatoes
- Essential kitchen tools for cooking M&S roast potatoes
- Preparation M&S roast potatoes
- Explanation of the science behind each step
- 5 Tips for ensuring the potatoes are evenly coated with oil and seasoning
- Temperature and Cooking Time
- Explanation of the Maillard Reaction and its Role in Creating a Crispy Exterior
- Suggestions for Serving the M&S Roast Potatoes
- Steps to Use M&S Roast Potato Seasoning
- Key Takeaways
- Final Thoughts
- Olive oil
- Garlic powder
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Wash the potatoes and cut them into evenly sized chunks.
- Place the potatoes in a large bowl and add olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika, and rosemary. Toss until the potatoes are evenly coated.
- Place the potatoes on a baking sheet in a single layer.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes, or until the potatoes are crispy and golden brown.
- Serve immediately.
- You can use any type of potato for this recipe, but russet potatoes work well.
- Be sure to cut the potatoes into evenly sized pieces to ensure that they cook evenly.
- You can adjust the seasonings to your liking.
- Leftover roasted potatoes can be reheated in the oven or microwave.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Side dish
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American/British
- Diet: Vegetarian
- Serving Size: 1/4 recipe (approximately 1 cup)
- Calories: 175
- Sugar: 2g
- Sodium: 150mg
- Fat: 7g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 6g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 27g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 3g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: roasted potatoes, side dish, potatoes, oven-baked, vegan, gluten-free, vegetarian
M&S roast potatoes and why they are special
A perfectly roasted potato can elevate a meal from ordinary to extraordinary. Whether you’re serving it as a side dish or as the main attraction, a crispy exterior and a fluffy interior are key to a perfect roast potato. That’s where M&S comes in! Their specially seasoned roast potatoes are a cut above the rest, providing a burst of flavor in every bite.
In this blog post, we’ll show you how to create these delectable spuds in your own kitchen. From prepping the potatoes to roasting them to perfection, our witty and easy-to-follow instructions will have you whipping up M&S-worthy roast potatoes in no time. So, grab your apron and let’s get cooking!
List of Ingredients need for M&S roast potatoes
Cooking the perfect M&S roast potatoes requires the right ingredients, and in this section, we’ll be taking a closer look at what’s needed to create these delicious spuds.
- 1.5 kg of Maris Piper potatoes
- 4 tablespoons of M&S Roast Potato Seasoning
- 8 tablespoons of sunflower oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Substitution options for ingredients:
- If you don’t have Maris Piper potatoes, you can use King Edward or Desiree potatoes instead.
- If you can’t find M&S Roast Potato Seasoning, you can use your own blend of herbs and spices, such as rosemary, thyme, garlic, and paprika.
- If you don’t have sunflower oil, you can use olive oil or vegetable oil instead.
Explanation of the role of each ingredient in the dish:
- The Maris Piper potatoes provide the base for the dish and give it a creamy, fluffy interior.
- The M&S Roast Potato Seasoning adds flavor to the dish and gives it a crispy exterior.
- The sunflower oil is used to grease the roasting tin and helps the potatoes crisp up in the oven.
- Salt and pepper are added to taste and help to enhance the flavor of the dish.
Essential kitchen tools for cooking M&S roast potatoes
Cooking the perfect M&S roast potatoes requires more than just the right ingredients, it also requires the right tools. In this section, we’ll be taking a look at the essential kitchen equipment you’ll need to whip up a batch of these scrumptious spuds.
- A large saucepan: The large saucepan is used to boil the potatoes. It should be large enough to comfortably hold the potatoes and allow room for the water to boil.
- A colander: The colander is used to drain the potatoes and remove excess water. This is important as it prevents the potatoes from becoming soggy.
- A roasting tin: The roasting tin is used to roast the potatoes in the oven. It should be large enough to spread the potatoes out in a single layer, allowing them to cook evenly.
- A spoon or spatula: A spoon or spatula is used to gently turn the potatoes in the roasting tin, ensuring that they cook evenly on all sides.
- A kitchen timer: A kitchen timer is used to keep track of the cooking time and ensure that the potatoes are not overcooked or undercooked.
B. Alternative options for tools, if any:
- Instead of a roasting tin, you can also use a baking sheet or ovenproof dish.
- If you don’t have a kitchen timer, you can use the timer on your oven or smartphone.
Preparation M&S roast potatoes
A. Step-by-step instructions for preparing the potatoes:
- Rinse the potatoes thoroughly in cold water to remove any dirt or debris.
- Cut the potatoes into even-sized pieces, about 2 to 3 cm in size.
- Place the potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with cold water.
- Add salt to the water and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and let the potatoes simmer for 10 to 12 minutes, or until they are just tender when pierced with a knife.
- Drain the potatoes using a colander and let them sit for a few minutes to dry off.
- Place the potatoes in a single layer in the roasting tin and drizzle with oil, making sure they are evenly coated.
- Season the potatoes with salt and any other desired seasonings.
- Roast the potatoes in a preheated oven at 200°C (180°C fan) for 30 to 40 minutes, or until they are crispy and golden brown on the outside.
Explanation of the science behind each step
- Rinse the potatoes thoroughly to remove any dirt or debris, which can affect the texture of the potatoes.
- Cutting the potatoes into even-sized pieces helps them to cook evenly and prevents some pieces from becoming overcooked or undercooked.
- Boiling the potatoes in salted water before roasting helps to season them from the inside out and produces a fluffy interior.
- Draining the potatoes and letting them sit for a few minutes to dry off helps to create a crispy exterior when roasting.
- Drizzling the potatoes with oil and seasoning them before roasting helps to create a crispy exterior and add extra flavor.
- Roasting the potatoes at a high temperature for a relatively short period of time creates a crispy exterior and fluffy interior
5 Tips for ensuring the potatoes are evenly coated with oil and seasoning
- Toss the potatoes gently in the roasting tin to make sure they are evenly coated with oil and seasoning.
- Use a spoon or spatula to turn the potatoes occasionally during roasting to ensure they cook evenly on all sides.
- Add the oil and seasoning to a large bowl and mix the potatoes in the bowl to make sure they are evenly coated before placing them in the roasting tin.
- Experiment with different oils, such as olive oil or goose fat, for different flavors.
- Add herbs, spices, or other seasonings, such as garlic, rosemary, or paprika, for extra flavor and variety.
Temperature and Cooking Time
Cooking temperature and time are two important factors that determine the texture and flavor of potatoes. Generally, potatoes should be roasted at a high temperature of 400-450°F (204-232°C) for 20-30 minutes or until they are crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.
However, the actual cooking time may vary depending on the size and type of potato you are using. Smaller potatoes will cook faster than larger ones, so be sure to adjust your cooking time accordingly.
Techniques for Ensuring the Potatoes are Crispy on the Outside and Soft on the Inside:
There are several techniques that you can use to ensure that your potatoes are crispy on the outside and soft on the inside:
- Cut the potatoes into evenly sized pieces to ensure even cooking.
- Toss the potatoes in oil before roasting. This will help to create a crispy exterior.
- Place the potatoes in a single layer on a baking sheet and avoid overcrowding the pan.
- Flip the potatoes halfway through cooking to ensure even browning on both sides.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven once they are golden brown and crispy. Overcooking will result in tough, dry potatoes.
Explanation of the Maillard Reaction and its Role in Creating a Crispy Exterior
The Maillard reaction is a chemical reaction that occurs between the amino acids and reducing sugars in food when they are exposed to high heat. It is responsible for the browning and flavor development in roasted, fried, and grilled foods.
When you roast potatoes, the Maillard reaction takes place on the surface, producing a crispy, caramelized exterior and intensifying the flavor. This reaction is essential to creating a crispy exterior on roasted potatoes and is a key factor in making them delicious and appetizing.
Suggestions for Serving the M&S Roast Potatoes
- As a side dish: Roast potatoes are a classic side dish that pairs well with a variety of main courses, including roasted meats, stews, and casseroles.
- As a snack: Roast potatoes can also be enjoyed as a snack on their own, especially when they are seasoned with herbs or spices.
- As a base for a salad: Toss roasted potatoes with greens, vegetables, and a flavorful dressing to create a delicious and filling salad.
Pairing Options with Other Dishes:
- Roast chicken: Roast potatoes are a classic accompaniment to roast chicken, complementing the juicy and flavorful meat with their crispy exterior and soft interior.
- Grilled steak: Roast potatoes are a great side dish for grilled steak, providing a crispy and flavorful contrast to the rich, juicy meat.
- Seafood dishes: Roast potatoes can also be paired with seafood dishes, such as grilled salmon or baked cod, to add a crispy and comforting element to the meal.
Tips for Keeping the Roast Potatoes Warm Until Serving:
- Cover the roasted potatoes with foil to trap heat and prevent them from cooling down.
- Place the roasted potatoes in a preheated oven set to 200-250°F (93-121°C) to keep them warm until serving.
- If serving the potatoes later, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator and reheat them in the oven or microwave before serving.
Remember, when reheating, the potatoes may not be as crispy as when they were first roasted, but they should still be warm and flavorful.
Steps to Use M&S Roast Potato Seasoning
M&S Roast Potato Seasoning is a blend of herbs and spices designed to enhance the flavor of roasted potatoes.
Steps to Use M&S Roast Potato Seasoning:
- Cut the potatoes into evenly sized pieces: This will ensure that the potatoes cook evenly and at the same rate, resulting in perfectly roasted potatoes.
- Toss the potatoes in oil to evenly coat: Adding oil to the potatoes before seasoning helps to create a crispy exterior and also helps the seasoning to stick to the potatoes.
- Sprinkle M&S Roast Potato Seasoning over the potatoes and mix well: This will evenly distribute the seasoning on the potatoes and enhance the flavor.
- Place the seasoned potatoes on a baking sheet in a single layer: This will help to ensure that the potatoes roast evenly and don’t become crowded on the pan.
- Roast in the oven until crispy on the outside and tender on the inside: The temperature and cooking time will depend on the size of the potatoes and your personal preference. The key is to roast until the potatoes are crispy and golden brown on the outside and soft and tender on the inside.
- Serve and enjoy the delicious, flavorful roasted potatoes: Serve the roasted potatoes as a side dish, snack, or as a base for a salad, and enjoy their delicious, crispy exterior and tender, flavorful interior.
M&S Roast Potato Seasoning is a blend of herbs and spices that can enhance the flavor of roasted potatoes.
To use, cut the potatoes into evenly sized pieces, toss with oil, sprinkle with seasoning, and roast in the oven until crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.
The Maillard reaction plays a role in creating a crispy exterior on the potatoes.
Roast potatoes can be served as a side dish, snack, or as a base for a salad and can be paired with a variety of other dishes.
Reheating roast potatoes can restore their crispy exterior and warm their tender interior.
M&S Roast Potato Seasoning is a simple and delicious way to elevate the flavor of roasted potatoes. The blend of herbs and spices provides a tasty crust on the potatoes, making them a perfect side dish or snack.
Roasting potatoes can be a fun and creative way to enjoy this classic dish, and the Maillard reaction helps to create a crispy exterior that’s both satisfying and delicious. Whether you’re serving them with a roast dinner or as a snack, M&S Roast Potato Seasoning is sure to add an extra burst of flavor to your dish.
A. Sources Used for the Blog Post:
- M&S Roast Potato Seasoning product page (https://www.marksandspencer.com/c/food-to-order/roast-potatoes)
- How to Cook Perfect Roast Potatoes (BBC Good Food) (https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/how-cook-perfect-roast-potatoes)
- The Science of the Perfect Roast Potato (Serious Eats) (https://www.seriouseats.com/2014/11/the-science-of-the-perfect-roast-potato.html)